Frequently Asked Questions
Student Placement Education ‘Core’ Orientation (SPECO)
- Who needs to complete the SPECO?
- Students and school instructors from ALL professions that will be attending any of the lower mainland health authorities (FHA, VCH, PHC, PHSA) for a practice education experience.
- Do I need to complete the SPECO if I am attending a health authority for a brief observational experience?
- No. It is not required. However, you still need to sign and submit a confidentiality form. All observational experiences need to be coordinated through practice education offices at the health authority.
- What if I have already completed a health authority orientation prior to the implementation of the SPECO (September 1, 2012)? Do I need to complete the SPECO?
- You do not need to complete the online SPECO. However, you need to ensure that you have completed the Health Authority Orientation Checklist (document dates of completion), and renew components as listed.
- What if I have already completed one or more of the components (ie. Infection Control) of the SPECO?
- If you have already completed part of the orientation document the date completed on your orientation checklist and renew as per checklist.
- I am currently an employee of one of the health authorities and I am furthering my education in my current field of employment (ie. Social Worker doing Masters, Nurse doing Specialty Nurse Education, etc). If my practice experience is at the health authority I am already employed with, do I need to complete the SPECO?
- No. However, you are required to complete the orientation checklist to document your completion date of the health authority orientation and other orientation components. Then review the applicable Student Practice Education Web Page for more important information pertaining to your practice education experience. It is the responsibility of your school to track the completion of orientation.
- My practice experience is at a different health authority then I am currently employed with, do I need to complete the SPECO?
- No, however you are required to complete the orientation checklist to document your completion date of the health authority orientation and other orientation components. Then review the Student Practice Education Web Page for more important information pertaining to the specific health authority and submit the signed confidentiality form.
- I am a current employee of one of the health authorities but my field of study is not the same (ie. employed as a porter, attending school in a physiotherapy program), do I need to complete the SPECO?
- Yes. You will need to complete the SPECO and orientation checklist.
- If as a student I completed the SPECO prior to hire in a health authority, do I have to complete the New Employee Orientation?
- Yes. The content of each orientation is different.
- Who tracks the completion of orientation?
- Students and school instructors must complete the orientation checklist and keep pre-requisites up to date. Completion of orientation requirements is tracked by post secondary institutions. However, students are advised to retain a copy of the checklist for their records. Health authorities may request proof of completion (for any component of orientation) at any time.